Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What would FDR do????

Jim DeMint (R-SC) says there should be no collective bargaining for government employees, wow, very bold stand, and I say bravo Jim. Yea I know what some of your thinking. “We need to protect the American worker” “how could you be against the worker” “you are a racist, intolerant, homo-fobe” (that last one is the liberal go too) everyone that disagrees with them gets that title, just trust me on this one.

Ok before you get your knickers in a bunch let me tell you why I agree with Mr. DeMint. First and foremost there is a big difference between private sector unions and public sector unions. First and this is big; when private sector unions come to the table to collectively bargain for their members there are a lot of things they must consider, not all of it has to do with the membership, for one thing they are bound to help keep a company solvent, why? Because if the company goes under then all the negotiation in the world won’t help the employees, makes sense, right?

So there is a lot of incentive to do what is best for the employee while making concessions that also benefit the company, here in reality world we call that a win, win.

Ok let me hit the pause button here for a sec, I know some of you are thinking that I am just pro business and don’t care about the common worker, well you’re wrong, I like to think I am a common worker, yes I make a good wage, but it did not happen overnight, I worked hard for 20 years in the Army, then I worked hard at my own business, now I work hard as a safety professional, I will be 50 this year and I got to where I am because I worked hard,(are you catching the theme here) nothing was ever handed to me, nor have I ever asked for anything but the chance to prove myself. Look; I think anyone doing a fair job should be paid a fair wage, and I don’t begrudge anyone for working their way into the millionaire ranks, I do really, really, really wish I could join them. (Another theme there did you catch it?) Anyway where was I, oh yea, fair wage for fair work, I do believe that the market place should dictate what that wage should be, you see, and try to stay with me, when you work you are selling your labor, the more you are worth the more you’ll make, in addition there is this thing called, supply and demand, which allows market place to dictate what a job is worth, more demand, higher pay, sounds simple to me.

Now back to collective bargaining; I am not against it, I have no problem when employees get together nominate a representative to collectively bargain on their behalf, but keep it centralized within your own company, why does it have to be an outsider or a corporate size union doing it? Just look at the auto industry and what the UAW has done, they have collective bargained factories out of union states and into right to work states, no unions there just fair wages for fair work, or worse, out of the country. Does anyone not find it ironic that foreign car manufactures are setting up shop in southern “right to work” states, while American car makers are moving operations to Canada and Brazil. And let me ask you this; if being in a union is such a great deal then why does it have to be mandatory, I mean if it is sooooo good wouldn’t everyone want to join.

So back to public sector unions; what do I have a problem with, just this, they do not have to do what is best for the worker and the company, why pray tell, because it is taxpayer money, it has no bottom, it won’t run dry, well maybe not. It is one thing when you negotiate with a company that deals in profit and loss, it is another when you negotiate with taxpayer dollars, that is not subject to profit and loss, you just continue to drain those in the private sector, and taxes go up, and fewer jobs are created and, well you know the rest just look around at what’s going on in our country.

You know I think it’s great how Dem’s and Liberals love to bloviate on the greatest Democratic President of the 20th century “FDR” sometimes referd to as the Paton Saint of the American Labor movement, I wonder what he would have to say about public sector unions, oh wait, I have it right here. "...

Meticulous attention should be paid to the special relationships and obligations of public servants to the public itself and to the government. All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations ... The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for ... officials ... to bind the employer ... The employer is the whole people, who speak by means of laws enacted by their representatives ...

"Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of government employees. Upon employees in the federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people ... This obligation is paramount ... A strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent ... to prevent or obstruct ... Government ... Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government ... is unthinkable and intolerable."

Wow that just about says it all, does it not? So before we run out into the streets with our grass roots movement supported by corporate money provided by George Soros let’s read, and dare I say, heed the words of the great one, yea I am gloating just a little, why? Because what argument are you going to use now……..

No comments:

Post a Comment